RSN is always looking for a few good interns. For information on this opportunity, please email email@example.com. RSN is seeking the following:
COTTON PROGRAM INTERN
The Cotton Program for the Responsible Sourcing Network (RSN) seeks one intern to research the activities of brands and retailers to address forced labor in their supply chains. Each year, the Government of Uzbekistan orders over one million children and adults to labor in the country’s cotton fields for three months, providing them little to no reimbursement for their work. In an effort to end this practice of systemic, government-led exploitation, over 130 of the world’s largest apparel brands and retailers have committed to avoiding Uzbek cotton. RSN requires a meticulous and avid researcher to compile information on exactly what brands and retailers have committed to, what they are doing to adhere to their commitments, and what they are doing to ensure the yarn and textile suppliers in their value chains are meeting their requirements.
Additionally, there are many home goods and apparel brands that have not yet made a commitment not to source Uzbek cotton. Part of the responsibilities will be encouraging them to sign a Company Pledge not to support forced child labor in Uzbek cotton fields.
- Encourage brands and retailers to sign the Company Pledge against Forced Child Labor in Uzbekistan
- Track corporate policies and activities regarding forced and child labor
- Conduct primary research and verify data, which will be used in a published report
- Upload information in Salesforce database
- Be pursuing a graduate degree or an advanced undergraduate (junior or senior) in public policy, apparel/textile management, human rights, government, or international law
- Have excellent research, analysis, writing, and communication skills
- Be comfortable reviewing documents and technical reports
- Be able to organize and prioritize work
- Have good organizational and time management skills, with an excellent attention to detail
- Be self-motivated, have a strong work ethic, and committed to excellence
- Be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Be facile in internet research
- Interest in Human Rights, Labor Rights, and/or Social issues
- Interest in Corporate Responsibility
- Experience with Salesforce or other database management ideal
Internship, $200 stipend per month, 15-20 hours per week minimum; 2.5 - 3-month commitment; and school credit available.
The position will initially be on-site at the As You Sow/Responsible Sourcing Network office in downtown Oakland, with eventual opportunity to work virtually.
As soon as possible
We encourage all applicants to review our website www.sourcingnetwork.org before applying.
Please send your resume and cover letter containing a brief memo of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than September 27th.
Include “Cotton Program Intern” in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.