NEW Conflict Mineral Impact Infographic Sheds Light on the Importance of Achieving a Conflict-Free Supply Chain
Just why are Conflict Minerals disclosures important to investors, business leaders, consumers, workers and local mining communities? Our new infographic conveys the importance of private sector actions when working to achieve a conflict-free supply chain. Conflict-free business practices can improve the lives of many citizens living in mining communities in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and neighboring countries.
Download the infographic to see the basic steps – and resulting impact – companies can take to become conflict-free.
Here are some of the important takeaways from the Conflict-Free Infographic:
- In order for a company to commit to conflict-free business, the cost must be understood. The social and financial losses in the DRC are motivating factors for a business to champion human rights. Did you know that just this past January, 35,000 people fled their homes in DRC in 2016?
- When a company chooses to not be conflict-free, it hurts suppliers, buyers, consumers, and investors.
- Many companies are already taking concrete steps to push human rights in their supply chains, such as contributing to the OECD Due Diligence Guidance for Conflict Minerals.
- Companies should communicate all the way up the supply chain with stakeholders such as in-region nonprofits, smelters, industry peers, and more.
- Companies can invest in research, infrastructure, and regional governance to continue pushing for change.
- 89% of DRC mines were declared conflict-free as of May 2016! While this is a sign of much progress, more must be done.
- Promotes good business for everyone involved. Conflict-free business is GOOD business because it creates positive impact, lowers risks, and sets an example for responsible sourcing in an increasingly interconnected world.
Do you care about reducing and eliminating conflict in the DRC region? If so, share this infographic; one share can be one step toward a conflict-free world.